Sunday, July 28, 2002

I'm presently in Amsterdam. A fine place to be. (Although the PC in this internet cafe has a USB port, I forgot to bring my USB cable with me, so I am unable to attempt to upload any pictures from my digital camera). A weird thing that I saw. The film "Kissing Jessica Stein", which comes from the surprisingly large genre of "New York single young Jewish woman movies", (and which is an okay movie but a little soft in the middle) is being released in the Netherlands under the title "Kissing Jessica". The publicity material is entirely in English, and the poster is exactly the same as the American or British one except that the name "Stein" is missing. Movie distributors are the sorts of people who will do anything (including completely misrepresent what a film is about) if they think there is a chance of making more money, but the fact that they felt the need to downplay Jessica's Jewishness bothers me somewhat. Some of the hardliners in the blogosphere might see this as evidence of rising European antisemitism. I don't know. It is a little bothersome, however.

No comments:

Blog Archive