Thursday, March 27, 2003

Quote of the day

HEARD ON SKY NEWS

"Umm Qasr is a town similar to Southampton", UK Defence Minister Geoff Hoon told the House of Commons yesterday. "He's either never been to Southampton, or he's never been to Umm Qasr", said one British soldier, informed of this while on patrol in Umm Qasr. Another added: "There's no beer, no prostitutes, and people are shooting at us. It's more like Portsmouth."

(via William Gibson).

Well, the last time I was in Portsmouth, I had just arrived on the ferry from Cherbourg, and I had missed the last train back to London, so I had to spend five hours outside due to being unable to find any pub, cafe, or establishment of any other kind that was open all night. Last time I was in Southampton, I spent several hours in a very nice pub with a couple of friends of mine drinking excellent real ale. I personally vote for Southampton too. (I haven't been to Umm Qasr, though).

No comments:

Blog Archive