Sunday, July 11, 2004

Sunday evening quiz

I am presently using this satellite picture as the wallpaper on my Linux box.



Just as is the case with New York, a great city has been built on an island at the mouth of a river. Also like New York, this is the largest city and the finanancial and commercial capital - but not the political capital - of the country that contains it. Name the city.

(I suspect that this is a very easy question for people who come from the country in question, so I ask any readers from that country to disqualify themselves).

Update: The answer is Mumbai (Bombay), India. As Mark Holland said when giving an answer in the comments, westerners aren't generally familiar with the layout and appearance of cities in that part of the world, great cities that some of them are. The irony I suppose is that there are more movies filmed in Mumbai than in any other city in the world. We just don't see those, either.

No comments:

Blog Archive