Saturday, April 05, 2003

Take me to ludicrous speed

It seems that the RIAA is attempting to sue a student at Michigan Technological University for $97.8 trillion in damages for file sharing. Great. (Link via slashdot).

RIAA senior vice president for business and legal affairs Matthew Oppenheim said the suits are intended to send a clear message to anyone running these types of services that punishment will be swift and severe.

Experts say they worry that the students, who are unlikely to actually have to pay those soaring sums, won't always be the sole targets of the RIAA's notoriously aggressive copyright defenses.

I glad to hear that. Might I compliment the journalist on his masterful use of the word "unlikely". (Personally, when I was a student I very seldom had a hundred trillion dollars to spare).

No comments:

Blog Archive